Albert Nipon Inc. joined forces with Orlane USA (then owned by Max Factor) to produce a new woman's fragrance. But first the companies commissions studies to identify and analyze the woman who bought Nipon's clothing. The fragrance was created for that woman’s style, and the bottles designed after a Nipon tradition: the bow. Mr. Fick, a perfumer, created the beautiful perfume.
In 1983, Albert and Pearl Nipon presented the very first bottle of their fragrance to First Lady Nancy Reagan, who had given attentions to their clothing designs, especially when she wore an off the rack Albert Nipon dress to a major GOP function years ago.
To introduce America to the perfume, Albert and his wife Pearl made appearances at major department stores around the country. The stores were decorated with flowers that had to be blue, white and lavender to match the perfume packaging.
Presented in an oval shaped crystal flacon, topped with a signature Nipon bow, in frosted glass. Presented in a red lined, embossed grey and white box. The back of the boxes and labels on the bottles should read "Albert Nipon Fragrances, Inc." This company name was used from 1984-1991.
So what does it smell like? It is classified as a fresh mossy aldehydic chypre fragrance for women. I starts off with a fresh top note, followed by a spicy floral heart, layered over a balsamic, ambery base.
- Top notes: aldehydes, bergamot, lemon, fruity note, orange, coriander
- Middle notes: frangipani, Bulgarian rose, jasmine, lavender, galbanum, orange blossom, cinnamon, carnation, geranium, orris, ylang ylang
- Base notes: sage, patchouli, cloves, incense, vetiver, labdanum, opoponax, myrrh, tolu balsam, oakmoss, pepper, amber, vanilla, cedar, benzoin, leather, musk
The Albert Nipon Fragrance was available in the following forms:
- 1/4 oz Parfum (retailed for $40 in 1984)
- 1/2 oz Parfum (retailed for $65 in 1984)
- 1 oz Parfum (retailed for $120 in 1984)
- 1/4 oz Purse Perfume Natural Spray
- 1/8 oz Parfum mini
- 1.7 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
- 0.35 oz Soft Perfume Rollerball
- 1/2 oz Soft Perfume
- 1/2 oz Eau de Parfum Natural Spray
- 1/3 oz Eau de Toilette Splash mini
- 1 oz Eau de Toilette
- 1.7 oz Eau de Toilette Natural Spray
- 3.2 oz Eau de Toilette Natural Spray
- 2 oz Eau de Toilette Splash
- 6 oz Bath & Shower Gel
- 2 oz Fragranced Body Powder
- 5 oz Bath Powder
- 9 oz Perfumed Body Cream
- 4 oz Body Milk
- 8 oz Fragranced Body Lotion
- 1/2 oz Dry Oil Spray
- 4 oz Foaming Bath Oil
- 2 oz Perfumed Body Treatment
- Perfumed Candles
Fate of the Fragrance:
I believe that the original perfume was discontinued around 1988 when the company was sold to Leslie Fay. It was reintroduced later and might have been reformulated to exclude the oakmoss, and can still be found at discounters and ebay. The perfume was again discontinued in 2008.
The older bottles have very dark brownish red juice (that can stain clothing) and their bottles have the bow motif, the newer bottles have lighter, ambery yellow colored juice and no bow motif.