Royal Secret by Germaine Monteil. "For that feeling of utter luxury."
Germaine Monteil was a celebrated French fashion designer at 39 boulevard des Capucines, Paris, and also had a boutique at 663 Fifth Ave, NY. The company was acquired by BAT in 1969 and sold on to the Benckiser Group in the early 1990’s.
Germaine Monteil and his company launched a range of fragrances, and his best known and best selling fragrance was Royal Secret. Royal Secret was launched in 1958.
So what does it smell like? The original version is a sweet and spicy Oriental fragrance for women. It starts with a fresh citrusy top, followed by an exotic floral heart, resting on a sweet, powdery amber base.
- Top notes: lavender, spicy note, peach, verbena, galbanum, bergamot and lemon
- Middle note: rosewood, carnation, cinnamon, ylang ylang, ginger, African orange blossom, violet, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, Bulgarian rose and geranium
- Base notes: incense, benzoin, civet, patchouli, sandalwood, tobacco, myrrh, musk, patchouli, vanilla, amber and vetiver
"A new kind of perfume — one to be used in or immediately after the bath — is news from Germaine Monteil. Royal Secret Bath perfume is a heady compound of high-concentrate oils, mellowed and made fragrant with spices, herbs and flowers. Half an ounce is $5. One ounce is $8."
The New Yorker, 1960:
"Germaine Monteil's Royal Secret Bath Foam is a tobaccoy-scented powder that one sprinkles on the water (and, reward)."
Harper's Bazaar, 1967:
"Glad news, beamed to sophisticates to whom Germaine Monteil's flowery, "herbsy" Royal Secret perfume has become second nature: six delightful new accessories now deepen the Royal Secret entity."
"Germaine Monteil gives you perfume to burn in the Crystallerie Noel collection of French Opaline frosted glass. The candlestand, fat and shimmery, lights up with the Oriental perfume of Royal Secret, $15."
Fate of the Fragrance:
- Top notes: bergamot, grapefruit, fresh greens, lemon
- Middle notes: cinnamon, muguet, jasmine, violet
- Base notes: patchouli, vanilla, cedar and sandalwood
1999 - Royal Secret II was launched by Five Star Fragrance, in association with the Lancaster Group; Discontinued (date unknown).
Royal Secret is still being sold by Five Star Fragrance though it really doesn't resemble the original fragrance, the new fragrance is more vanilla than ambergris.
Products once available,:
- Eau de Parfum Spray
- Luxury Bath Powder
- Spray Concentree
- Bath Perfume
- Luxury Lotion
- Shower Gel
- Perfumed Candle
- Scented Drawer Liners