Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Salancy

Little is known about the Salancy parfumerie. From what I gather, Salancy was established at 21 rue des Abeilles, Tours, France in 1913 by Henri Salmon and Henri Chancy. The two made the name Salancy from Salmon and Chancy. They produced cosmetics in addition to perfumes. The company was affiliated to the Parfumerie Romary and the Parfumerie Olga of Tours, France.

World War II halted production of Salancy's perfumes from 1935-1945.



Salancy's perfume presentations were classy and luxurious, made possible by using the finest crystal flacons from well known manufacturers like Baccarat and Depinoix.

The perfume Le Roman d'une Rose was presented in a bottle designed by Julien Viard and made by C. Depinoix et Fils.



The perfume Babillage de Fleurs, was a chypre amber fragrance. Presented in a flacon by Cristalleries de Baccarat, design # 524.




The perfumes of Salancy:
  • 1913 Aubepine
  • 1913 Jolie Reine
  • 1913 Romary
  • 1913 Petite Reine
  • 1918 Velyla
  • 1918 Xyllys
  • 1918 Les Fleurs de Rosays
  • 1918 L’Héliotrope du Rosays
  • 1918 Origan du Rosays
  • 1918 La Rose du Rosays, this is the rebranded Les Fleurs de Salancy
  • 1918 Lavande du Rosays
  • 1918 Mimosa du Rosays
  • 1918 Le Roman d'une Rose
  • 1918 Des Fleurs à pleines mains 
  • 1918 L’âme errante d’une Roseraie
  • 1918 Fleurs offertes 
  • 1918 Griseldinette 
  • 1918 Mystérys 
  • 1918 Odorante Brume 
  • 1918 Blédy’s
  • 1918 Cynémol 
  • 1919 Blancherose
  • 1919 Kerly 
  • 1919 Babillage de Fleurs 
  • 1919 Divins Frimas
  • 1919 Bois Mystérieux
  • 1919 Auréoldor
  • 1919 Le Secret de Dame Violette 
  • 1919 Violette de Touraine
  • 1919 Trèfle de Touraine 
  • 1919 Rose de Touraine
  • 1919 Fougère de Touraine 
  • 1919 Les Fleurs de Touraine 
  • 1919 Le Lilas de Touraine 
  • 1919 L’Héliotrope de Touraine
  • 1920 Griseyl
  • 1920 Rocherose 
  • 1920 Secret de Litte
  • 1920 Pamprerose 
  • 1920 Eau de Cologne, Reine de Provence 
  • 1920 Reine de Provence
  • 1921 Violettes Mousseuses 
  • 1921 Rocfleury
  • 1921 Violette qui mousse 
  • 1921 Mousseuse violette 
  • 1921 Violette de Mousse 
  • 1921 Violetmousse 
  • 1921 Le Seyant
  • 1921 Le Coquet 
  • 1922 Oryris
  • 1923 Romarys
  • 1923 Le Charme du Passé 
  • 1923 Chypre ambris
  • 1923 Jolie Reine
  • 1923 Heure bénie
  • 1923 D’Aylis
  • 1923 Reine mystère
  • 1924 Jasmin de Tipaza
  • 1925 Fougère Chypree
  • 1925 Narcisse Azure
  • 1925 Yerko
  • 1927 Miracle d’amour
  • 1928 Mélodie du soir
  • 1928 Miracle de Noël
  • 1933 Série bleue 
  • 1935 Fougère noire
  • 1935 8 de Trèfle 
  • 1944 All Right 
  • 1945 Xylia
  • 1945 Sous la Charmille








The following info is from:
CONSEIL GÉNÉRAL D'INDRE - ET - LOIRE 
 FONDS SALANCY 
(1898 – 1962) 
Répertoire numérique détaillé

History of Perfume

- Company " Bassereau and Crucheron "

We can trace the origin of the perfumery from an ad  found in an 1888 newspaper 
Sologne, dated  December 30 of the same year in which Bassereau ,
a hairdresser and perfumer, is mentioned as a successor to the former Maison Desroches.

Jules Zéphirin Bassereau filed the first trademark for "Parfumerie Olga" at the Registry of the Commercial Court of Romorantin on August 9, 1898 . A few years later he moved with his wife Berthe Emilie Crucheron and his younger brother Paul also René perfumer to Montbazon, in Indre-et-Loire.

On November 25, 1902 he forms with the latter a partnership under the name "Bassereau
and Crucheron" . The company was in the business "to the trade of manufactures perfumery and supplies
hairdresser "and is based at their home, 55 rue Nationale, Montbazon.

In 1907, under the name "Parfumerie Olga " that their company is mentioned in the advertising section devoted to manufactures and supplies for hairdressers and located at 25 Canal Street in Tours. Also shown on this advertisement are perfume bottles sold  by Bassereau and Crucheron perfumers chemists, 7 rue de Lyon, Paris.

On May 22 , 1911, they sold their property to Henri Joseph Salmon, from industrial Langeais, and Eliacin Henry Chancy, a pharmaceutical chemist, for an amount of 95,000 francs.

On the following July 1, 1911, the latter are, in turn, a trading company name grouped under the name "H. Salmon and Chancy" for "the operation of the establishment industry for the manufacture and sale of perfumery and supplies for hairdressers, pharmacists, chemists, herbalists ... "

Therefore the company will experience some development with the launch of perfumery products to new markets and deposit many trademarks. According to the survey conducted at the end of the First World War, the economic business situation before the outbreak of the war is very satisfactory. It employs thirty people and has an annual turnover of 500,000 francs. The steady increase in their income is such that the associated planning to build a new plant using modern manufacturing processes as empty and cold.

The supply of raw materials poses no problems, alcohol comes from Northern France and Charente- Maritime, chemicals are almost all imported from Germany. Ordinary bottles were purchased primarily in factories of La Bresle in Normandy. At this time two glassworks still at St. Evroult-Notre-Dame-du Bois and Tourouvre Orne, the cut crystal bottles themselves are imported in large quantities from Bohemia, where they are sold at half the price that the French vials from Baccarat, Pantin or St. Louis Company. The luxury cartonnage is manufactured in Paris while most of the ordinary comes from Valreas and Isère.

Despite the competition from other production centers of perfumery in Paris, Lyon, Marseille and Bordeaux, the company does not know of difficulties as to its outlets in France. The clientele consists of hairdressers and located perfumers, originally in the Centre and East of the France. As foreign, particularly German competition, it is very low and exports in the country as cheap and poor quality articles.  On the other hand, it is more formidable on foreign markets, Greece, Romania and Turkey, where the Maison Salmon and Chancy tries to settle but where it does no banking facilities 

On 2 August 1914, the two partners are mobilized to the 9th section of military nurses in Châteauroux and the business is closed.  The business however resumed its activity in 1915 under the direction of Mrs. Chancy, born Plisson, then her husband, evacuated from the front for disease contracted during military operations, is assigned to Tours. Manufacturing is however, slowed by supply difficulties related to the transport crisis and the high price of raw materials: pure alcohol but also chemicals such as synthetic musk. Prices of bottles and cardboard have also increased and the cost of labor, which is becoming harder to find . Only one half of workers willing to be used in 1918 at a lower rate than that proposed by war plants and certain military authorities.

Two commercial travellers represent the company: Liger, rue de Châteaulin in Nantes and Lamarche in Tours. The annual turnover does not reach 300,000 francs so that houses while competing houses of Bordeaux and Marseille thrive because they enjoy a port that lets them receive alcohol from abroad. In 1917, the enterprise recognizes 81 clients in invaded countries and 210 in the other. 

After the death of Henri Salmon, doctor auxiliary in the 4th regiment of skirmishers, killed at the front on April 17, 1917, an inventory of the assets and liabilities of the Salmon-Chancy company is directed on July 6, 1917. It provides a description of the leased buildings 25 rue de canal Tours and arrangements made by the two associated since the management buyout Bassereau and Crucheron . Besides the office installed on the ground floor of an apartment occupied by Eliacin Henri Chancy House, they have a laboratory, packaging workshop, a workshop of packaging, air blower for alcohol and equipped with a Capper, workshops containing metallic fuel tanks, a press, glass vials and stoneware, a suction pump bottles and a cellar for the shipyards and the hoist. On the other hand, the rental of a workshop belonging to a named
Albat, 27 Canal Street, purchased since 1906 by their predecessors, has been extended and even expanded, in 1912, a portion of court and an attic.

The accounting office is located at this address and attic used for local sifter and 40 tons for rice powder . In 1916, they also purchase a wooden shed located at 11 rue Boileau Boileau - Tours to serve as storage. Among the products surveyed in 1917 and contained alcohol material first but also manufactured products such as soap , tools for hairdressers, bottles, cardboard, labels, packaging and shipping cylinders. As of July 11, 1917, Henry Chancy Eliacin assumes sole and under his responsibility exclusive exploitation of the industrial funds. On 11 May 1919 the liquidation of the company "Salmon and Chancy" is performed between Chancy Eliacin Henri and Marie Caroline Adele Gasnault , mother of Henry Salmon and established his universal legatee .


- Company Chancy

Eliacin Henry Chancy retains the services of a native chemist Côtes d' Armor, Variot Joseph, who became technical director, and he undertook the reorganization of the factory tours. On 15 February 1920 he bought the real estate company based in Paris Morning, for sum of 90,000 francs, a building located 12 rue du Dr. Fournier and 21 rue des Abeilles, Tours. He negotiated a month before, a loan of 120,000 francs from Joseph Variot .

It installs laboratories and a steam plant on 2500 m2. The estimate for insurance conducted in 1925 provides details of buildings and equipment. addition administrative and accounting offices therein , including a manufacturing laboratory with an annex room, filling a vessel for washing bottles, a room heater, space for the descrambling the manufacture of powder, a shed for packaging , shop for cardboard and another for finished products. Eliacin Henry Chancy and his wife occupy the dwelling house adjoining located 23 rue des Abeilles.

Since 1919 the house has deposits Paris: 7 rue de Lyon and 4 rue des Martyrs,  58 rue Fontaine-au-king and 86 rue de Varennes, and Nantes: 3 Place Saint-Vincent, and Algiers: 1 rue de Gueydon then 21 rue Borely it Sapie. Casablanca is an agency created  219 Boulevard of the station in 1928. 

Advertising brands of perfumery appears in professional journals. It  Paris is done through corporate organization "Le Val des Roses" and Lyon  that the Cooperative "The Perfumer". At Tours, the ads appear on  tram cars. Perfumery also participates in the festival "Marcel" high exposure perfumery and hair that stands Luna-park of Paris. 

In a brief submitted in 1921 to the tax administration, Eliacin Henry Chancy characterizes his company: "Olga perfumery, unlike brands Parisian manufacturing extracts luxury, is a manufacturer of perfumery "Tailored" mainly producing and delivering customer hairdressers colognes lotions and to varying degrees, most commonly at 50 °, 60 ° and 70 °, which they use in their work. The sale is in liters and bottles." 

In 1925, Henri Eliacin Chancy, sick, gradually gives way to his wife will serve as commercial director. She directs the staff treats command corresponds with suppliers and directs business travelers. In 1930, the perfume has twenty passengers and representatives of trade. It appeals to his brother, Christian Plisson, to replace Joseph Variot which retired from the company but not without paid in 1925 another $ 150,000 
francs, productive interest. 

- Company "Perfumes Salancy 
On 20 April 1932, 10 days before his death, Henri Eliacin Chancy form a new company with his two son Henri Edouard Eliacin, sales representative, and Jean-Marie Gervais, minor profession but without permission from his father to trade perfumes. 

This company aims to operate the industrial and commercial property manufacture, purchase and sale of fragrances under the name "fragrances Salancy" subtitle "Parfumerie Romary" 

Receivables are secured by various buildings located 21-23 rue des Abeilles, 12 rue du Dr. Fournier Tours and Saint-Symphorien. His widow Yvonne appointed manager of the company. It carries 25 May 1932 the necessary changes to terminate the old company and the new registers under number 18325. The share capital of 500,000 francs is divided into 500 shares of 1000 francs of which 450 are returning to Yvonne Chancy, and 25 to each of two associated wires. 

Despite the energy expended by Yvonne Chancy society is gradually declining. Borrowing 1925 paid in 1931 but new bonds are purchased. Home residential street Bees is sold in 1936 and 31 December 1938, following the death accidental Henri Edouard Eliacin Chancy, the headquarters of the company is transferred to Rosays field, road Tartifume Saint-Symphorien. Gervais Chancy becomes new manager.

On 18 March 1939, Yvonne Chancy rents to society "The perfumes Salancy" of the premises, built in January 1938, on his property in the Rosays. They include a light brick building hollow and canopies with an area of 160 m2, made of wood, slate roofing, high on a platform with a large workshop, an office, Timber framing, slate roof, built on an embankment and featuring a large workshop, and an attic on a part, and two metal sheds covered fibro-cement not enclosed an area of 150 m2 adjacent to the building before. The whole is built on an area of 350 m2 with an entrance to the West of the road to Tartifume. 



Meanwhile, the plant installed in the property of Saint-Symphorien undergoes war damage in 1944 after the bombing of the airfield. Buildings, some of the equipment (3 tanks of 150 liters copper, 1 powder mixer, 1 
filler, porticos wooden lockers and of office equipment) and inventory (Essences and essential oils) are damaged. Only damage to buildings will be compensated.

In 1945, Yvonne Chancy and her son Gervais cede shares of the company in Charlotte Geneviève Brunet, representative, wife of Maurice René Viviant, hairdresser and Tours Emilienne Yvonne Maria Fishing, accounting secretary of the company. They hold and each two shares, Yvonne owns 426 Chancy his son Gervais 37 and both have undivided the 33 shares from the estate of Edward Henry Chancy. Much of the equipment was sold in 1950, including Veyssière Rodworkers Tours. These reservoirs gauge tinned copper with 350, 150, 60 and 30 liters, filters "Capillery" and "Progress" copper funnels 15 liter copper, a semi-automatic filling machine, capper arm brand "Weissenthaner" and another electrical, of a press arm and a crimping arm. 

1 January 1952 the company released the premises occupied at Rosays and the dissolution of the society comes into effect from 1 October 1955. Gervais Chancy is designated as liquidator.

 Société Saint-Elme 

On October 5, 1935 Yvonne Chancy and his two son form a limited liability company Limited under the name "Institutions St. Elmo." It is "to operate an industrial and commercial establishment supplies wholesale and semi-wholesale items hairdressers and wholesale and semi-wholesale all products and accessories in connection therewith, the creation or acquisition and operation of all other institutions of the same nature and 
all transactions relating directly or indirectly. "Its registered office is situated at 24 Charles Gille street in a rented the ground floor of the garage Manceau local. Gervais Chancy is the first manager appointed, powers are extended until January 1, 1940 by decision college decision Feb. 6, 1937. In 1945 they cede shares in St. Elmo and sell store-wholesale in connection with this company.

- Company "Perfumes Salancy" 

In January 1956, Yvonne Chancy undertakes to re-register on the Register, under number 13272, the activity of manufacture of perfumery under the title "Perfume Salancy. "February 15, 1955, she bought out Viviant Ladies Fishing and and June 14, 1956, his son Gervais gives him the exclusive right to manufacture and sale wholesale and retail, in France and abroad, perfumery and toiletries, as well as the right to use the trademarks of the dissolved corporation. It sells buildings factory of Saint-Symphorien in 1957, seeks to negotiate trademarks and declares want to liquidate the debts of the company on his personal account. 
She died September 23, 1962 and his son Gervais must ensure the succession. 
  
- Trademarks 
  
If the reputation of the perfume is originally based on the "Parfumerie Olga" deposited by its creator J. Bassereau, one can judge the strength of the company to the number deposits brand made with the Tribunal de Commerce de Tours. During the two years of 1913 and year 1914 shareholders of record Salmon and Chancy 14 brands including "Salancy" that gives the name to the company. After the slowdown in activity related to war and the death of Salmon, his partner, Eliacin Henry Chancy said, between 1914 and 1928 no less than 60 new brands of perfumery and hygiene. At his death, renew his successors especially the old brands deposits. There is little Creations and these relate to items of cutlery and tools for hairdressers marking the desire to expand the business scope of the company.

Composition and interests of the fund  If the constituent instruments of companies that mark the course of this activity and regulatory or administrative notarized documents used to reconstruct easily the history of the company it is not the same for the perfumery activity. In fact, very few Archives have been transmitted in its operation: relations with suppliers, customers or staff. Thus no business correspondence, books accounts or bills are included in this fund. Only many notebooks, undated and very difficult to interpret for novices, keep track of research by the company in the manufacture of perfumes. Logging formulas composition perfumery also shows the need for transmission of this precious knowledge do. 

Must decrypt each information contained in these pages to trace suppliers as prestigious perfume houses in Grasse: Chiris, Descollonges, Jeancard, Lautier, Roure ..... 

The only items on the practices and equipment used are provided by the insurance or inventory established at the request of local records in 1939. The black and white photographs of local street Bees, very evocative places seem to belong to the same time. We find similar photos in the folder war damage educated after the destruction suffered by the new premises Saint-Symphorien in 1944. 

Finally, all the most significant fund corresponds to the many bottles and objects perfumery which have been preserved. They echo the records and book labels and trademarks perfumery under the name of Salancy Tours or Paris but also Romary. 

Despite its low film fund is however a representative indicator of diversity and business dynamism present in Indre-et-Loire in the early twentieth century. It shows also the impact of wars in the operation of this small economy Tours. Finally, it briefly traces a family adventure economic but mainly due to willingness to undertake individual and tenacity. It would be interesting to compare it with Archives Grasse companies or those other craft perfume this time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be subject to approval by a moderator. Comments may fail to be approved or may be edited if the moderator deems that they:
contain unsolicited advertisements ("spam")
are unrelated to the subject matter of the post or of subsequent approved comments
contain personal attacks or abusive/gratuitously offensive language

International Perfume Bottle Association

IPBA Annual Convention

Annual IPBA Perfume Bottles Auction

Annual IPBA Perfume Bottles Auction