Saturday, March 22, 2014

My Fair Lady by Ravel c1955

My Fair Lady by Ravel was launched in 1955.

I purchased a vintage 1950s My Fair Lady by Ravel Perfume splash at the flea market last weekend. I did some research but was unable to find any info on the notes so I was able to test some on my skin to let you know what it smells like.

This 1 oz vintage glass bottle has a black Bakelite screw cap and a gilded foil label, which shows some wear. The box is marked “My Fair Lady Perfume Cont. 1 fl oz Dist. Ravel, NY.” There is 100% of original contents inside.

So what does it smell like? It is classified as an Oriental fragrance for women.
  • Top notes: bergamot
  • Middle notes: spices, flowers
  • Base notes: benzoin, vanilla, amber, civet, musk, sandalwood

To refresh your memory on how it smells, I just applied some of the perfume and I detect very rich, powdery florals are buried inside somewhere, underneath spiced bergamot, amber, civet, benzoin, sandalwood and musk .

It smells alot like Shalimar, old Shalimar, not the reformulated stuff. The top notes are bruised but they dissipate quickly, leaving a wonderful, complex fragrance behind. My husband loves Shalimar on me and was quick to note that it does smell like Shalimar. The drydown has a sweetness made possible by the benzoin or vanilla.

My Fair Lady has been discontinued since the 1950s and is extremely hard to find.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be subject to approval by a moderator. Comments may fail to be approved or may be edited if the moderator deems that they:
contain unsolicited advertisements ("spam")
are unrelated to the subject matter of the post or of subsequent approved comments
contain personal attacks or abusive/gratuitously offensive language

International Perfume Bottle Association

IPBA Annual Convention

Annual IPBA Perfume Bottles Auction

Annual IPBA Perfume Bottles Auction