Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pavlova by Payot c1977

Pavlova by Payot: launched in 1977. Inspired by turn of the century opulence and named after the famous ballerina, Pavlova. Based on a perfume that was created in 1922 for Anna Pavlova. The swan motif on the packing of the modern bottles from Payot reflect the fact that Anna Pavlova owned a pet swan named Jack, a very graceful addition to her own graceful movements on stage.













Originally available as:

  • 0.24 oz Parfum
  • 0.50 oz Parfum
  • 1 oz Parfum
  • Solid Perfume
  • Eau de Toilette
  • Talc
  • Bath Soap Bars
  • 4 oz Body Lotion
  • 2 oz Bath Oil
  • 6 oz Body Powder
  • 6 oz Body Powder Refill
  • 10 oz Milk Bath
  • 10 oz Milk Bath Refill


Original Formula:

So what does it smell like? It is classified as a lush floral fragrance for women. It starts with a green, fruity top, followed by an exotic fruity floral heart, resting on a sensual, powdery, woody base.
  • Top notes: hyacinth, galbanum, mandarin orange, blackcurrant, bergamot, raspberry and grapefruit
  • Middle notes: orris, narcissus, orchid, Bulgarian rose, tuberose, jasmine, neroli, ylang-ylang and geranium
  • Base notes: cedar, benzoin, sandalwood, musk, vanilla, oakmoss, amber and vetiver


New York Magazine, 1977:
"One steppe at a time..even Pavlova didn't leap before she could land...but you can Russian right away. with one sweeping whoosh of fragrance. New Nosegayish. And named for the prima ballerina herself. One precious ounce of perfume packed in a black lacquered Palekh box. $70.00"

The Ladies' Home Journal, 1978:
"FRAGRANCE MEMO Presenting ... an extravagant fragrance that will make you want to stand on your toes and dance with delight: Pavlova, named for the romantic and legendary Russian dancer. The perfume is exquisitely packaged— with handpainted flowers on the bottle and on the black lacquer box.."

Playbill, 1980:
"There's Pavlova, a choice 1922 romantic, named for the most famous prima ballerina. ... softest flower essences, packed like little treasures into black lacquer boxes, some of them hand-painted tenderly with pink blossoms. The Pavlova perfume is $80."

The New York Times, 1981:
"From the world of Pavlova A ceramic basket filled with four swan soaps and a lace handkerchief specially priced at 1 2.50 with any Pavlova purchase."

Texas Monthly, 1984:
"PAVLOVA Inspired by turn-of-the-century opulence, Pavlova is a lush garden of floral essences. We've nestled four essentials together in a romantic wooden swan: Eau de Toilette Spray, Lotion, Shaker Talc, Soap. $75."


Working Woman, 1986:
"PAVLOVA The legendary fragrance of romance. Its superb floral blend celebrates the most famous ballerina ever. For a limited time only, a collector's item ceramic slipper hand painted in the famous Russian Palekh art style with two Pavlova guest soaps and a 3 oz Parfum Spray."

Mademoiselle, 1986:
"Lush floral essences, a hint of Bulgarian roses, and traces of sandal and amber contribute to Pavlova's exotic aura "Le Bouquet de Pavlova" includes a hand-painted ceramic basket, lace handkerchief, .33 oz. Parfum Spray, 75 oz. Dusting Powder."


Fate of the Fragrance:


Discontinued, date unknown.

Reformulated and relaunched in 1999.

The reformulated formula:
  • Top notes: mandarin orange, cassia, raspberry and grapefruit
  • Middle notes: galbanum, blackcurrant, tuberose, jasmine, hyacinth, neroli, ylang-ylang and geranium
  • Base notes: sandalwood, musk, cedar, amber, vanilla, oakmoss and vetiver














6 comments:

  1. I wish it would be made again. It is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most endearing perfume that captivated my soul, this perfume and it's history made me fall in love with it, it's terrible how it was discontinued, old bottles have spoiled perfume in them, the color is evident, they reformulated it, which does not come close to the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the BEST perfume I ever bought. Bought for $60 a 1/4 oz. back in the 80's. ONLY fragrance I ever used. Very disappointed as it no longer is manufactured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I totally agree with you.

      Delete
  4. I’d have to begin with the fact that I dislike perfume, none of them ever “captivated” me. So I wore some here & there just to wear some, but wasn’t in love with them. Until Pavlova. I walked into Macys one day, and as usual, tried to dart quickly thru the fragrance department, but something just grabbed me. I stopped dead in my tracks, wondering, What is that, what am I smelling? I couldn’t ignore it, because I NEVER like the smell of anything, so it just intrigued me, I had to know what it was. Turned out it was Pavlova. The original however, as this had to be in the 80’s. I have no idea why it had that effect on me, but it smelled SO GOOD to my nose and just spoke to me. I bought the perfume, lotion, and soap. Absolutely loved it. So sad it’s gone. I thought about purchasing the “reformulated” version, but then again, I want the original that I fell in love with. Not something that smells different, what’s the point? I don’t want it to smell different, I want it to smell like I remember it and what captivated me from the moment I got my first whiff.
    Why couldn’t they just relaunch it instead of reformulating it and relaunching ???

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be subject to approval by a moderator. Comments may fail to be approved if the moderator deems that they:
--contain unsolicited advertisements ("spam")
--are unrelated to the subject matter of the post or of subsequent approved comments
--contain personal attacks or abusive/gratuitously offensive language

Welcome!

This is not your average perfume blog. In each post, I present perfumes or companies as encyclopedic entries with as much facts and photos as I can add for easy reading and researching without all the extraneous fluff or puffery.

Please understand that this website is not affiliated with any of the perfume companies written about here, it is only a source of reference. I consider it a repository of vital information for collectors and those who have enjoyed the classic fragrances of days gone by. Updates to posts are conducted whenever I find new information to add or to correct any errors.

One of the goals of this website is to show the present owners of the various perfumes and cologne brands that are featured here how much we miss the discontinued classics and hopefully, if they see that there is enough interest and demand, they will bring back these fragrances!

Please leave a comment below (for example: of why you liked the fragrance, describe the scent, time period or age you wore it, who gave it to you or what occasion, any specific memories, what it reminded you of, maybe a relative wore it, or you remembered seeing the bottle on their vanity table, did you like the bottle design), who knows, perhaps someone from the company brand might see it.

Also, if you have any information not seen here, please comment and share with all of us.

Featured Post

Faking Perfume Bottles to Increase Their Value

The issue of adding "after market" accents to rather plain perfume bottles to increase their value is not new to the world o...