From 1979 onward, the fragrance was available in parfum, eau de toilette, body lotion, dusting powder, hand soap, talc, body cream, bath gel, solid perfume,
In 1982, the Dioressence Esprit de Parfum was introduced.
So what does it smell like? It is classified as a modern oriental-chypre fragrance for women. It starts off with an aromatic top note, followed by a spicy floral heart, resting on a warm, balsamic base.
- Top notes: aldehydes, orange, narcissus, fruity notes, patchouli, green notes, bergamot, neroli
- Middle notes: forsythia, carnation, clove, tuberose, cinnamon, violet, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose, geranium
- Base notes: Ambrein, musk, patchouli, Siamese benzoin, vanilla, oakmoss, vetiver, styrax, sandalwood
"For Her - Uninhibited but-classy IS Dioressence, the newest offering from Christian Dior. A heady blend of jasmine, neroli, patchouli, geranium, and musk, Dioressence is the kind of scent most men find terribly alluring . . .and isn't that what it's for?"
"Dioressence, new from Christian Dior, with gentle top notes of roses and jasmine, woody middle notes of patchouli and sandalwood, and light hints of oakmoss and geranium."
"Dioressence for Women. The quintessential fragrance, a lacy textured scent, delicate and refined. Combining subtle innocence with uninhibited passion to form a light floral blend that lingers on. For a modern feminine appeal."
Product Marketing, Cosmetic & Fragrance Retailing, 1983:
"Braun's packaging of Christian Dior's Dioressence Perfumed Body Lotion is innovative on several counts, according to a Dior spokesperson. For one, it is the first of Dior's containers to be conceived and produced totally in the States rather than in France."
Product Marketing 1984:
"It doesn't take any real marketing genius to spot a price point gap here. But it wasn't filled until Christian Dior introduced Dioressence Esprit de Parfum in 1982. A Spirited Solution. Noting that women considered Eau de Toilette “too discreet". . .Parfum's "too luxurious for regular daytime use," Dior offered them “an effusive luxury."
Fate of the Fragrance:
Dioressence was discontinued from 1975-1979, and then it was reintroduced in 1979, but reformulated to compete with YSL's Opium perfume. However, it was discontinued for many years (still being sold in 1999).
In 2009, it was reformulated with modern ingredients and relaunched as part of Dior’s collection Les Creations de Monsieur Dior.
The newest version's composition:
- Top notes: aldehydes, fruit, bergamot, orange, Indonesian patchouli, green notes
- Heart notes: violet, tuberose, jasmine, carnation, rose, Egyptian geranium, lily of the valley, ylang-ylang, Ceylon cinnamon, orris root
- Base notes: Indonesian patchouli, vanilla, galbanum, musk, moss, styrax, vetiver
Les Creations de Monsieur Dior Dioressence is available as:
- 50ml eau de toilette
- 100ml eau de toilette